Monday, June 27, 2005

Incompetence and Incompetence

I'm not supposed to be home typing this, but apparently the health care "professionals" at Northbay Health can't stick a needle in a guy correctly nor figure out which day of the week it is, so instead of starting my new job today I'm here. It's a long story.

So, instead, let's talk about the Giants.

Or, rather, let's talk bad about the Giants. I set a few goals for them in the entries of the last week or so, and they've failed to meet any of them:
  • Take 3 of 4 from Arizona - failed
  • Take 2 of 3 from Oakland - failed

I deliberately didn't write anything up about any of the games against Oakland. At the time I first suggested (and thought possible) that the Giants could take the series, the A's weren't really struggling, which was something that I missed. They had won each of their last four series before this weekend's series, three of them coming against competitive NL East teams, and had taken six of their last seven series. They were 15-8 in those 23 games. That isn't struggling, that's surging. The Giants, apparently, never stood a chance.

Now, starting tomorrow, the Giants face the task of sweeping both the Diamondbacks and Padres in six consecutive games just to stand a ghost's chance of looking like they might stay somewhat close to the vicinity of the general area of contention. Maybe. I'm not sure about that, though. I'll get back to you in a week.

No comments: