Friday, September 30, 2005

Request Line

As the season draws to a close, the time comes for me to think of what kinds of things I want to look at in the offseason on this space.

Thing is, I know, but I don't really know know, ya know?

So, this entry is specifically for anyone who reads this blog on a semi-regular/regular basis, and would like me to look at something, anything, more in-depth. It could be something you want a second opinion on, something you don't feel like looking into yourself, something you feel is going to be important next season -- anything, really. And you don't have to limit it to the Giants -- it can be any team in the majors.

I want to make sure I don't become more boring than normal in the offseason, and that I can always have something fresh to put up -- and yes, I'm picking your brains for that. I have no illusions that I'll be posting baseball content daily, so if I'm only going to post a couple/few times a week, it may as well be something that's worth reading (also, I am still going to try and keep up a Golden State Warriors blog, as well).

2 comments:

Andrew said...

My request is utterly selfish, but you are the go-to man for statistical analyses, so I'll toss this out there for your consideration.

1) Baseball is obviously a game of trends, where whole teams and divisions seem to enjoy success as they build and mature, while others seem to decline as they trade away major talent or simply age. Right now, the usual suspects for post-season contention include Boston, Yankees, Atlanta, Angels, and St. Louis. Will this continue? Of more interest, which teams/divisions that aren't really on the radar now should be looked at for surprises next year or in 2007?

2) Now, for my selfish request. Do you have any thoughts about what the Nationals will need to turn their terrific potential into a palpable playoff scenario? Is it as obvious as just getting more power bats? A change in Robinson's coaching style? I understand if you don't know enough about the team, or just don't care, but I'm smitten by D.C.'s new team and am interested in your thoughts on them.

Your blog has been one of the highlights of the 2005 season. Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve for next year. Peace.

Daniel said...

Is my name toast? Because I feel like I'm being buttered up...

Well, Andrew my friend...

1) Heh. Things like this request require an in-depth look at a team's GM -- his drafts, his trades, his free agent acquisitions, etc. Then, after that, you'd have to take an in-depth look at the team's farm system, and their track record on producing major-league talent, as well as the current talent-level, and which specific positions have talent and depth in relation to the ML club and its need for players at those positions.

A wee bit over my head, I think.

2)This one, I think I can do. I can look at a single organization over the course of a couple of days and come up with something. I will put it at the top of my list.

Thanks for the compliments, by the way. Writing here has been one of the funnest things I've done, and I'm quite proud of it.

You ought to be proud of your site, too. I don't think I read anyone more genuine than you.

There. Compliments all around.